The Rise of Electric Power
The water was originally pumped using a steam engine which was believed to be an ex-ships engine. The steam was provided by two 30ft long boilers. These steamed engines were connected to 3 pumps situated at the bottom of the shaft. During early production there would be 2 or 3 shifts pumping 2.1 million litres a day.
It was steam powered until the late 1950's when electric submersible pumps were installed. The steam engine and its boilers were removed and then the chimney was felled in 1959.
The pumping station remained in use until the Kielder and Derwent reservoirs were brought into use in the late 1970's, making many of the East Coast pumping stations redundant.